Book Lisa as a Coach
I currently coach individuals in a personal and professional capacity; in my experience you cannot separate one from the other.
I’m not a life coach, I’m not an executive coach; in fact I don’t love the word coach as it implies I ‘play the game’ better than others. As none of us can really ever see the whole ‘game’ nor will we ever truly have an idea of someone else’s experience, it’s not arrogant but plain ridiculous to think that we would out rank each other.
Nonetheless coaching is a commonly referred to term so I’ve stuck with it. Here’s a little more to help you figure out if I’m the right coach for you
What’s a coach?
Depending on what resources you use, the term will differ and different coaches offer different approaches. Fundamentally if you want your outcome to be different, want to change behaviour or take your life into a new direction you’ll enlist the help of a coach.
What the difference between a coach and therapist?
Honestly Tom Henschel’s article in Forbes magazine answers this much better than I ever could so check it out. From my perspective if you need support and want someone to listen to you or need help overcoming a painful situation, get a therapist. If you want someone to challenge you get a coach.
Why do I need a coach?
You don’t. No one needs a coach but the experience is more than likely going to challenge your thinking and help you shift some beliefs and behaviours that hold you back.
Ideally everyone would do well to have a therapist and coach at some point even if not needed. I’m certainly happy to have had the privilege of both without whom I couldn’t have come to the point of doing this work.
What kind of coach are you?
I’m going to challenge you. I’m challenging and compassionate. I’m not going to listen to your stories trying to justify the way life needs to be or has been. As we partner however and we move through the journey you will more than likely experience some profound shifts which is where my compassion comes in. I’ve shifted and honestly it’s bloody tough. It sometimes feels as though the experience is challenging you, sometimes it feels as though parts of you are dissolving. It’s scary, it’s exciting and it’s life changing. Your experience may not be the same but in my time of coaching, this seems to be the general consensus.
I work with clients in creating the lives they wish to live. I don’t however believe in the secret given the power of the sub-conscious and un-conscious over our daily lives. I work with uncovering your values, behaviours and habits as many coaches do however given my Mindscape training and knowledge of depth psychology, I work in uncovering the unconscious and subconscious obstacles that inhibit desired behaviour, habits and the reaching of goals. In 2011, I put together a model formed around my own 7 Principles of Magic and the understanding that change is systemic. These principles included;
1. Beyond outcomes, judgments’ and paradigms I.e. We must examine assumptions and paradigms that keep us stuck. Let’s examine judgments’ that present us with an opportunity to explore ourselves further. Ironically when we let go of certain outcomes and engage in a process, we’re far more likely to succeed
2. Where our deepest desire and deepest fears meet I.e. We must embrace our fears if we are to own and indeed allow ourselves to have what we want. Our deepest fears and our deepest desires live in the same place.
3. When we change the structure of our beliefs and actions I.e. let us understand what is really driving our actions
4. When we take total accountability (not blame) I.e. Let us see our choices and why we made them and be open to new choices
5. Inside our hearts I.e. When we begin to know our strength through our passion and understand what it is we truly and deeply desire
6. In being fully present I.e. Opening up to see the ways in which we distract ourselves from what we really want
7. Through observation I.e. When we observe, without judgement, our behaviour, habits, beliefs and feelings, we are free decide whether we wish to see different and act differently
On the note of human beings as systemic creatures; it means we are fundamental to the systems in which we operate. It is not a one way response. Our contexts impact on us and the system I.e. organisation, family, context and community also affects on the individual. In attempting to change a system, it becomes essential to understand the current beliefs and ideas of the individual well as to understand the larger system and context in which the individual operates.
This is the reason I work with clients either in a 3 month or annual process. I do believe that sustainable, lasting and impactful change comes from real integration of this process and it’s why I do not work on a session to session process. Please download the free eBook on Processing Change for more.
What does the model offer?
The offer models groups and individuals the opportunity;
- Change in some areas or every respect of one’s life
- The freedom that results from living more aligned to one’s own philosophy and values
- The ability to engage in difficult conversations
- The ability to direct more attention to important tasks
- To work more efficiently (work smart, not hard)
- To embrace challenge in a more positive and beneficial manner to all involved
- Greater adaptability
I understand that many coaches offer an initial consult free of charge. I do not given my time and work commitments.
I also charge different fees for different countries and this is because different countries with different economies warrant different fees, in my perspective. I have had the privilege of coaching clients from South Africa (my home country), the UK and the US. Given that I have a very limited capacity to work with clients, I only take on a handful of clients at any one time.
South Africa; R1500 for an initial consult, R23 000 for 3 months and R90 000 for a year.
United Kingdom; £200 for an initial consult, £3 750 for 3 months and £15 000 for a year.
Europe; ￡200 for an initial consult,￡3 000 for 3 months and ￡14 700 for a year.
I’m currently not taking on any clients from the US, the Pacific or Asia due to time differences.
I take on one pro-bono client a year and should you wish to apply for this space, you will need to prove your financial situation and ensure that you are prepared to pay it forward in other ways.
I work with clients on a 3 month or year long basis following an initial consult. Fees are paid 70% upfront and 30% upon conclusion. I take on one or two pro-bono or reduced fee clients upon special request who are required to go through an application process in order to secure a coaching contract. Special request clients are also required to give back in order ways as per the coaching contract.
Things you should know before embarking on coaching with me
- I don’t have the answers you’re looking for, you do. My job is to ask the right questions
- I don’t take on every client who seeks to enlist the help of my services
- Coaching may unleash large scale change – do not embark on the process if you are unprepared for this
- I still have dreams I want to achieve
- I’m not ‘there’ – there is no there
- I’ve failed and failed and failed again but I’ve also enjoyed success in my career
- I have a diploma in counselling, not coaching
- I do not belong to a governing body and nor do I receive supervision although I am also coached and have a therapist myself to keep myself accountable
- I work as the Marketing Director for a kids healthy snack food brand named ChewyMoon on a part time basis because I believe in the cause and love the brand
- I cry. I get angry and I express my emotions
- I’m not going to be your best friend
- My deepest desire is for you to be truthful in what you want and to lead a life that brings you joy
What they said
“Hi Lisa, I just wanted to say thank you for your talk at the GIBS Women in Leadership Conference. I was totally captivated and it definitely sparked something in me. I’m really looking forward to embarking on your coaching programme. Thank you for the wake up call! ~ Linda, ABSA
“What I wanted to tell you about how I’m doing and your talk that I went to earlier this year is that it totally shifted my perspective on some things. Your talk on your past and unlocking your magic just touched me like you won’t believe. My history was almost exactly the same. It was like you were speaking directly to me! It shifted so much at the time and helped me accept what was happening. I can’t thank you enough!” ~ Lisa participant from ABSA Capital
“Before coaching with Lisa, I remember telling a friend, I felt like a confused, scared puppy. I had tried many things to pull myself together and was rather desperate to get a handle on my life and myself. Lisa is tough, she is demanding, she challenges and she stretches you. She is also kind, gentle and has a wisdom beyond her years. I have grown in leaps and bounds and am a far more enriched and resilient person Lisa has taught me a whole toolbox to deal with life; both the good and the challenging and as a result, I feel more alive!” ~ Sue.
I am super excited for what lies ahead as I look through the world through different eyes and awareness ~ Carla Smith
Completely innovative! This program assisted me in getting in touch with aspects of mind and soul that I tend to shy away from. I would recommend this program to anyone wanting to grow themselves personally and professionally. Lisa is amazing. ~ Tony Paladin